Tuesday, March 9, 2010

the OSCARS

Wups! I'm a little late on my Academy Awards review. The husband had the day off from work, so today was spent exploring our new surroundings and FINALLY watching this fabulous movie. Apparently, nearly 14,000 "Yahoo! Users" gave it an A, but "the Critics" only gave it a C+.

What I'd like to know is this: Who are "the Critics" and why do they seem to hate the movies that everyone else thinks are wonderful? They must represent a very small portion of society because their views almost always differ from the majority of movie-goers.

Anyway, to start off my review of the 82nd Annual Academy Awards, I must admit something: This was the first year I've ever watched the Oscars! Sure, I've seen bits and pieces in the past, but this was the first time I watched it from beginning {including Barbara Walters' last Oscars TV special} to end. And I loved every minute of it! I'm definitely going to watch it every year from now on, and Ben said we should throw an Academy Awards party next year!

So, on to my review:

Best Dressed: It's a TIE!
Elizabeth Banks {LOVE the color}...

and Demi Moore {who is genuinely smiling! I don't think that has happened since 1990}

Worst Dressed:
Ick! I really hope Charlize Theron fires whoever told her this dress was a good idea.

Sentimental Moment:
Jeff Bridges' "Best Actor" speech, in which he thanked his parents who had passed away {so sweet; I cried like a baby}. And I loved that he called everyone "man" ~ too funny!

Awkward Moment:
Elinor Burkett totally stealing Roger Ross Williams' thunder. The poor guy had said about 3 words when she bombarded him and grabbed the mic. I don't care who you are or what you think you deserve: once someone else takes the stage, it is THEIR turn to speak, not yours! Someone needs to go back to Kingergarten and learn their manners...

Fairytale Moment: 
Sandra Bullock winning her first ever Academy Award! She could have done without the 99 cent lipstick, but other than that, I thought she looked great. I was sure "Best Actress" was going to go to Meryl Streep {who looked stunning and did a great job in Julie and Julia}, but I really wanted Sandra to win! She totally deserved it, and her acceptance speech was heart-warming and hilarious; just like her.

Shockingly Awful:
WHY, Sarah, why?!? I'm loving the Chanel, but...the spray-on tan, the hooker eyeliner, the frizzy bee-hive hair...Sarah Jessica Parker, this is completely unacceptable. Maybe you were trying to look like an Oscar award? Frankly, I don't care; I expected so much more from you! No excuses: Play like a champion!

Shockingly Delightful:
I've got to be honest: I think Kristen Stewart is perfect for the role of Bella in the Twilight Saga. Clumsy, easily embarrassed, awkward {Did you notice that she had just one line to say, yet she somehow managed to awkwardly clear her throat right in the middle of it?}. And, just like her character in Twilight, Kristen seems to HATE dressing up. But oh my goodness, she did it! Kristen Stewart finally looked like the movie star she truly is! She definitely should have at least worn some earrings, but I'll forgive her because the hair, makeup, and dress were all so chic. Well done, my vampire-loving friend :)

Closing Remarks:
:: Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were excellent choices for co-hosts. However, whoever writes the jokes for the Academy Awards needs to come up with better material. Many of their lines were inappropriate and not even remotely funny!
:: Meryl Streep is one of the most classy actresses of all time.
:: George Clooney may have been voted "Sexiest Man Alive" year after year, but I think he seems like a total jerk {and I absolutely loved the stare-down between him and Alec Baldwin}.
:: James Cameron {producer of Avatar} was robbed! I can't believe his ex-wife {producer of The Hurt Locker} won so many awards. Maybe he was really mean to her, and this was a very belated "Jesus-spanking"? ;)

To end this on a good note {and to avoid sullying the good name and fashion sense of Sarah Jessica Parker}, here is a little reminder of what the usually fabulous SJP looked like at last year's Academy Awards:
Ahhh, much better!

{...}

After all is said and done, I think my favorite part of Oscars night was...

"The Handsome Men's Club" skit featured on Jimmy Kimmel Live!

No, seriously. It was HILARIOUS...especially when the camera turned to John Krasinski. You have to watch it:


So, what did you think of the Oscars this year?

7 comments:

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Sandra Bullock looks amazingly gorgeous! Loved looking at those pictures... Off to read some of your past post...

L @ Salt and Sentiment said...

These are all amazing! What was Charlize thinking? Im not a huge fan of Demi's dress but it is everly popular!

Unknown said...

I agree with you! Demi and Cameron Diaz were my favorites oh and Sandra looked amazing! That purple floral boob dress what was the designer thinking OMG??

Sandy said...

I LOVED the ruffles and color of Elizabeth Bank's dress. And I was not a fan of the boob flowers.. it just looks odd.

Unknown said...

I thought Elizabeth Banks looked good too! And I was very, very happy with Kristen Stewart... I'm a fan & I was glad that she did it right so she wouldn't end up getting slammed constantly after the fact.

Anny said...

Thank you for dropping by! I still don't know what happened to SJP either - she looks 1//3 of the size as last year.

Oh and a $75 million dollar carwash is the way to go - especially with a topless Jim Halpert!

KSK said...

I agree with you on it all...and I love that you put the Handsome Men's Club skit on here! That was too funny.

Related Posts with Thumbnails